Germany & Austria
April 30 - May 11, 2017
About the Adventure
Join us for an incredible one-of-a-kind Adventure through Bavaria with internationally bestselling author Jenna Blum, as she leads us through the history of the land that inspired her New York Times bestseller, Those Who Save Us.
Growing up surrounded by books, Jenna Blum was always inquisitive. At only age five, after reading When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit, she questioned her parents: why were the Nazis and the Gestapo so mean to the Jews? Jenna's questions only grew with age, and while through decades of research she knew the historical answers to the inquiries she had, she could never find an emotional reasoning to one of the greatest atrocities in human history.
With her unanswered questions already stirring the inspiration for her novel in the back of her mind, a trip to Southern Germany with her mother in 1993, allowed Jenna's character of Anna to be born. It would take the next ten years of imagining this normal, young, quiet, beautiful German woman caught in the wrong place at the wrong time, a frenzy of "method research" on any information regarding the Third Reich, and a truly heartening experiencing interviewing for the Steven Spielberg's Survivor of Shoah Foundation for Jenna to write Those Who Save Us.
On this epic Adventure we will travel through Germany and Austria, staying in some of the most historic cities in the region. Not only will travelers get to see incredible and renowned historic sights, like Neuschwanstein Castle, Dachau Concentration Camp, and the birthplace of Mozart, but also lesser-known places. Jenna will be with us every step of the way as our expert guide, leading us down the street to a little bakery featured in Those Who Save Us or narrating the calamity of what happened at Buchenwald as we walk through the hushed grounds. We will stay in the very place, the Hotel Wittelsbach, where Jenna researched much of her award-winning novel, and be privileged to receive insight into her writing process, and Jenna will provide guidance on our own creative writing aspirations.
Join us on this unforgettable journey, where you will not only be inspired by Jenna and Those Who Save Us, but also by the beauty and intrigue of Bavaria, a region rooted in history. On this Adventure you will have the opportunity to embrace all sides of that history, as we follow a literary path through the many brilliant cities and tiny German towns of Bavaria.
Your Bavarian Adventure Includes:
- 10 Nights lodging in seven cities (Frankfurt, Weimar, Füssen, Oberammergau, Berchtesgaden, Salzburg, and Munich)
- Welcome Dinner in Frankfurt
- All group land transportation
- Daily private couch
- Local guides in each city
- Special readings from Those Who Save Us at locations featured in the novel
- Breakfast Every Day
- Dinner at the Zauberstub’n Restaurant ("Magic Rooms")
- Sightseeing & admission to locations like Neuschwanstein Castle, Goethe's gartenhaus, Mozart's birthplace, Linderhof Palace, etc.
- Dinner Concert in Salzburg
- Boat ride on Königssee Lake
- Farewell Dinner at Munich's famous Hofbräuhaus
- Exclusive writing tips & prompts from Jenna herself, who has worked as an instructor for Boston's Grub Street Writers for nearly twenty years
- Signed copy of Those Who Save Us
- Intimate, exclusive tour group (no more than twenty Adventurers)
- The unique opportunity to travel with Jenna Blum as she recreates the inspiration and research behind her book
...and much, much more!
$4,495 Per person based on double occupancy
$875 Per person for single room supplement
**airfare not included**
2017 Detailed Itinerary
Click here for our full Adventure itinerary
Sign Up Now
To inquire further about this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity or book now, please contact us by phone at:
Or by email at: