Date: Saturday, August 9, 2014, 12:00pm-4:00pm Optional Add-on: 11:30-12:00pm Lunch Optional Add-on: 9:30-11:30 Makeup session on Presentations and Interviews Instructors: Kathi Diamant with Andy Trimlett
Venue: Marina Village Conference Center, Room G-7, 1936 Quivera Way, San Diego 92109 Cost: $89 for returning workshop attendees or groups of three or more (per person); $99 early bird registration; $109 after July 9, 2014 Registration: www.adventuresbythebook.com or (619) 300-2532
The SoCal Author Academy is pleased to team up with award-winning author and Emmy-award winning television host Kathi Diamant and Emmy-award winning KPBS producer Andy Trimlett to offer a Video Presentations Workshop designed for and targeted specifically to writers and authors.
The workshop will include:
- a session with Kathi to rehearse and be coached on interview and presentation skills covered in the previous Presentations Workshop
- a session with both Kathi and Andy in which each participant will be taped for a 5-minute on-camera single shot interview
- a high definition video of their in-class interview for every class participant that can be posted on their website or used for promotional purposes.
- the opportunity to slate the interview with the author’s name and book title which the author can later upload as a Vimeo video, with an embedded code, to You Tube, Facebook, or a website, or used later as part of a book trailer.
- optional 30 minutes for lunch from 11:30-12:00pm prior to the class to get to know other class participants
- IF you missed the prerequisite workshop with Kathi Diamant on Interviews and Presentations, we are offering a semi-private make-up session on August 9 from 9:30-11:30am for only a few participants
About Kathi Diamant: As the author of the Geisel Award-winning Kafka’s Last Love: The Mystery of Dora Diamant, Kathi Diamant has presented over 200 book talks in the past decade, in venues from bookstores, libraries, and book clubs to international literary festivals. She has been interviewed for dozens of national and international newspapers, magazines, and on television and radio programs in the US, UK, Australia, and Europe, An Emmy-award winning television host, Kathi works as on on-air interviewer for local and national PBS pledge programs, and has taught television presentation skills at KPBS Public Broadcasting in San Diego.
About Andy Trimlett: Andy Trimlett has worked as a producer for KPBS for six years, and has produced national television programs for Alternate Focus since 2004. He has worked as a producer, camera operator, editor, writer, and/or narrator for dozens of programs for Alternate Focus, KPBS, and PBS. He recently received a regional Emmy for a documentary he helped produce for KPBS.
What is the Author Academy?
As an author events coordinator, Susan McBeth is frequently asked advice by writers who are overwhelmed with the marketing process. Who do I hire for my author photo; do I need a book trailer; what do I invest for a professional website; where do I start with social media; how do I set up interviews; how do I develop my presentation skills; what good is a press release and how do I write one; how do I best approach bookstores and libraries for events; what other event options are available, etc.The Author Academy will answer those questions and much more, as it takes you methodically through the process of marketing your book in Anne Lamott fashion, Bird by Bird.
Designed as a series of intimate workshops, taught by experts in each subject matter, the Author Academy will offer you a cohesive and interactive plan to market your book. Starting with a brief overview of Everyday Book Marketing, experts will guide you from a logical first step thru planning and execution of an actual author event.Future workshops will include websites, social media, author photos, event planning, presentations and interviewing, press releases, and book trailers. And for those of you who graduate from the Author Academy, we will celebrate with you at an author event that we plan together!