Last Updated: April 8, 2019
Adventures by the Book®, LLC, (“ABTB,” “we,” “us,” “our”) operates www.adventuresbythebook.com including any and all associated domains (“Website”). Any reference to ABTB includes any and all affiliates, successors, assigns, and respective officers, directors, agents, representatives, and employees of Adventures by the Book®, LLC.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT
There are three general categories of information we may collect: information you give us, information we automatically collect, and information we collect from third-parties.
Information You Give Us
- Payment Information.We collect your financial information, such as your credit card, bank account, and billing information, when you register for an ABTB event or travel opportunity for which you pay for certain fees and costs on Website.
- Communications with Adventures by the Book®, LLC and other users.When you contact us or communicate with us through Website, email, or other methods of inquiry, or access, use, and interact with Website to communicate with other Adventures by the Book®, LLC members and Website users, we collect information about your communication and any information you choose to provide.
- Other Information.You may choose to provide us information when you update or add information to register for an event or travel opportunity, fill out a form or respond to surveys provided by us, post to community forums, comment and interact with on online content, or use other features of Website.
Information We Automatically Collect
When you access, use, and interact with Website, we may automatically collect information related to your access to, use of, and interaction with Website. Such automated information is anonymously collected and is not personally identifiable information.
- Usage Information. We collect information about your access to, use of, and interaction with, and how you access, use, and interact with, Website, such as the date and time of access, use, or interaction, the pages or content you view on, before, or after Website (including links to third-party websites and applications), actions you take on Website, searches you conduct, and preferences generated based on the data you submit.
- Location Information.With your permission, we may collect different types of information about your general location (e.g., IP address) or more specific location information (e.g., your precise location from your desktop or mobile GPS). You are asked when you initially access Website whether you would like to share your location. If you do not wish to share such information, you may decline to share your location or later opt out by changing your location services under your device settings. If you do not provide your location information, certain features on Website may be limited or won’t function properly if at all.
- Log Data.We automatically collect log information when you access, use, and interact with Website, even if you have not created a member account or logged into your member account. Log information includes hardware and software information, device information, operating system, browser type, device event information (e.g., crashes), and internet service provider or mobile carrier.
- Transaction Information.We collect information related to your payments and transactions on Website, including the date and time of payment or transaction, amounts charged, and other related details.
- Other Information.Other information that may be automatically collected includes information you search for on Website, emails that we send and you open and links you click on within those emails, and your access to, use of, and interaction with advertisements and promotions on Website. Additionally, certain demographic data may be collected such as your age and gender, if applicable.
Information We Collect from Third Parties
To the extent permitted by applicable law, we may obtain information from public or other third-party sources (e.g., consumer reporting agencies) or collect information that other Adventures by the Book®, LLC customers or Website users provide about you when they access, use, and interact with Website, and combine all such information with information we collect on Website.
Information We Do Not Collect
We do not intentionally solicit, collect, or disclose any information from children under 13 years of age. If we become aware that information was collected from any child under the age of 13, we will immediately and promptly delete such information and the child’s member account, if any.
Any parents or legal guardians of children under 13 who discovers that his or her child has provided us with any information without proper consent must immediately contact us directly on Website.
HOW WE COLLECT INFORMATION
When you access, use, or interact with Website, you consent to the methods in which we collect information, some of which are described below:
- Cookies: Cookies are small data files with an anonymous unique identifier. The file is sent to your browser from a website that tracks, saves, and stores information about your access to, use of, and interactions with Website and is subsequently stored on your device’s hard drive. We may collect and use both session cookies, which expire once the web browser is closed, and persistent cookies, which remain on the hard drive until deleted by you. This allows Website to provide you a personal, tailored, and interactive experience.
- Local Storage: Local Storage is an industry-standard technology where a website or application can collect and store data kept on your device. We store your preferences through various forms of Local Storage including your device, browser web storage, HTML5 Local Storage, and caching. This provides information on how you use and interact with Website and display various content based on what you have viewed on other websites.
- Pixel Tags: Pixel Tags, which also includes “clear GIFs” or similar means, is most often a single pixel electronic image that is not ordinarily visible to you and associated with Cookies or Local Storage. Pixel Tags collect usage, geographical, and demographic data in connection with the access to, use of, and interaction with Website such as counting the number of users who visit certain pages on Website. This allows us to measure user responses, deliver branded and specialized services, and help determine the reach and effectiveness of promotional and marketing campaigns.
We may directly perform these collection practices or utilize a third-party vendor to perform such practices on our behalf.
HOW WE USE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
It is our priority to protect your privacy and the security of your personal information. We do not sell or lease any personally identifiable information, including financial and billing information, to third parties for purposes of marketing or solicitation without your consent.
Limited Disclosure to Third Parties
- To safeguard, deter, and investigate against illegal, fraudulent, or unauthorized access to or use of Website;
- To protect and maintain the safety of you, us, others, and related property when necessary;
- When there is a change of control or ownership of all or part of Adventures by the Book®, LLC including sale, transfer, acquisition, bankruptcy, or similar;
- As required by law or regulation or in connection with any ongoing or prospective legal proceedings.
We may disclose any and all information that is not personally identifiable information to our partners, advertisers, and other third parties for any reason at our sole discretion without notice. Additionally, we may share information with social networking services if you use such services to access Website in accordance with this Policy and to the extent permitted by the privacy agreement with the social networking service.
- Provide and improve Website through technical and customer support, to solicit feedback, for research and development, and to inform you of new services and promotional offers;
- For standard business practices and purposes including establish and manage member accounts, merge your information with other available information to create a complete profile, contact you regarding your access to, use of, and interaction with Website, and provide non-marketing correspondence such as statements, invoices, confirmations, notifications, technical updates, security alerts, and administrative messages;
- Safeguard, deter, and investigate against illegal, fraudulent, or unauthorized access to or use of Website;
- Enable, administer, enhance, and personalize Website for you including tracking trends and analyzing access and use patters on Website and providing customized content specific to your interests, location, browsing and usage history, and respond to inquiries and complaints relating to the access to, use of, and interaction with Website; and
- Send marketing communications relating to our business to the email address provided by you, with the option for you to opt-out of such communications.
You acknowledge and agree that by creating, uploading, posting, submitting, transmitting, displaying, or otherwise providing information or data, other than personally identifiable information, on Website, you grant us or anyone authorized by us, a non-exclusive, unrestricted, irrevocable, perpetual, royalty-free, and world-wide license to use, distribute, display, modify, reproduce, transmit, perform, and broadcast derivative works, in whole or in part, and in any manner or medium, at no cost whatsoever relating to your access to, use of, and interaction with Website.
We implement physical and technical security measures commercially reasonable and necessary to protect the information we collect from you from unauthorized access, use, alteration, disclosure, or destruction of such information. However, we cannot guarantee these safeguards are absolutely secure and that any personally identifiable information will remain free from unauthorized access, misuse, alteration, disclosure, or destruction by third parties. Should we learn of a potential or actual security breach that puts your information at risk of unauthorized access, use, alteration, disclosure, or destruction, we may notify you so you can take appropriate next steps to protect and remedy the situation.
As a preventative measure, we advise that you take precaution in handling sensitive or confidential information and do not provide such information on or through Website or insecure online methods of communication. If you have any questions or concerns regarding identity theft, refer to the Federal Trade Commission for more information at
INTERNATIONAL DATA TRANSFER
We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed for you to access, use, and interact with Website and as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
You have the right to access, modify, and/or retract any voluntarily-submitted information by logging into your member account on Website or contacting us directly on Website. Upon notification, we will properly respond, update, discard, and/or destroy such information pursuant to your request. Please note that, as permitted by applicable law, we may require you to prove your identity and may charge a nominal fee to fulfill information requests. You acknowledge that certain information is required for continued access to, use of, and interaction with Website and retracting such information may prevent you from being able to access, use, or interact with Website.
Additionally, you have the right, at any time, to discontinue marketing or promotional communications from us by opting out. To do so, follow the unsubscribe instructions provided in each piece of communication or by contacting us directly on Website.
California Privacy Rights
Pursuant to California Civil Code Section 1798.83, California users may inquire as to whether a business has shared or disclosed personal information with affiliated or unaffiliated third parties for third-party direct marketing purposes. California users who wish to opt-out of, or have any questions or concerns regarding such disclosure, if any, may contact us directly on Website.